Like many of us, the ever-earlier presence of winter holiday decorations in stores and television commercials counting days the days until Christmas may be starting to wear on your nerves. But before you tune out completely and try to make plans that don’t involve coming anywhere within a 50-mile radius of any retail center on Black Friday, take a little time to consider how the holiday season may impact your business – and how you can actually increase your earnings during this time.
A rapidly increasing number of consumers are using their mobile phones and tablets to research, plan, and make holiday purchases -- and that’s not lost on advertisers. More and more companies are realizing that they have a huge opportunity to reach their target audiences via mobile during the exact time when customers are primed and ready to buy. For developers, that’s great news as we collectively are in a great position to help advertisers find these consumers. And as pre-holiday mobile usage spikes, so, too, do app downloads and engagement from consumers unwrapping that new gold iPhone® or Galaxy S® 4 under the tree.
Below are some key tips for developers to consider as they tailor their monetization strategies around the holiday rush:
- Watch the app stores for cutoffs. Apple restricts access to iTunes Connect and puts delivery of any new apps, updates, and price changes on hold for a series of days at the end of December. Submit early and reap the rewards of the holiday season. iOS developers should plan ahead to avoid scheduling releases or pricing changes taking effect during this time since those changes will not be reflected until after the shutdown ends.
- Consider reinvesting monetization revenue into a mobile advertising campaign to help drive installs and build up a user base. Display advertising can slice through ad store clutter and drive discovery. Our free house ads tool can also be used to cross-promote your portfolio of titles across your own inventory. This tactic is especially effective for developers who already have an audience and are looking to drive downloads of newer titles.
- Integrate our most recent SDK – this will ensure that the most current and richest ad units available are received. Make sure you are ready to take in all the banner, interstitial, and video demand that we have to offer – combining these ad units will help to maximize revenue and ensure that you are not excluded from large media buys.
- Pass data – including lat/long and other targeting variables, to expose users to more relevant and higher value advertisements.
- Keep an eye on eCPMs. The holiday season brings with it higher eCPMs, so be prepared to ramp up to take advantage – especially during Thanksgiving and through the end of the year.
With a little advance planning there’s a large opportunity for developers to leverage demand and drive revenue this holiday season. Best wishes to all of our developer partners -- we look forward to working with you this season and in the coming New Year!
More from Matt Gillis
Millennial Media is the leading mobile ad marketplace, making mobile simple for the world’s top brands, app developers, and mobile web publishers. The company's data and technology assets enable advertisers to connect with target audiences at scale, while driving monetization for publisher and developer partners. AOL acquired Millennial Media on October 23, 2015. Millennial Media boosts AOL's global, mobile capabilities and scale across ONE by AOL for advertisers and agencies, and offers the most attractive monetization platform for app developers.