CTR, BFD: What True Measurement Means in Mobile
There’s a disconnect between time spent on mobile and lagging ad spend. A decade ago, the online world experienced the same issue with television, and solved it by introducing measurement solutions.
At our recent Millennial Media Partner Summit, we discussed mobile measurement with panelists Katie Casavant (CEO, Kantar Shopcom), John Dempsey (Senior Director of Mobile, Oracle), Will McGivern-Smith (Senior Director of Business Development, Nielsen Catalina Solutions), Rachel Pasqua (Practice Lead, Mobile, North America, MEC), and David Shim (CEO, Placed).
Key takeaways from this session include:
- Mobile measurement can be complex; there’s no one-size-fits-all approach. But the extra effort is worth it to advertisers.
- Making the connection to offline transactions from mobile is crucial for everyone across all verticals, despite variation in key metrics and measurement strategies for different organizations.
- Cadence is king. Advertisers want intel on what tactics are working during the campaign. Getting real-time (or near real time) offline data associated with media will help Advertisers make smarter, faster decisions.
- There is often an inverse relationship between CTR and offline consumer behavior (foot traffic, sales, ROI etc) Advertisers understand they need to move from CTR to ROI, but for now CTR is a metric they can act on quickly while the ROI feedback loop takes days or weeks.
- “Today, if you just optimize purely off of click-through rate, you’re getting a lot of garbage.” — David Shim, CEO, Placed.
Millennial Media is the leading mobile ad marketplace, making mobile simple for the world’s top brands, app developers, and mobile web publishers. The company's data and technology assets enable advertisers to connect with target audiences at scale, while driving monetization for publisher and developer partners. AOL acquired Millennial Media on October 23, 2015. Millennial Media boosts AOL's global, mobile capabilities and scale across ONE by AOL for advertisers and agencies, and offers the most attractive monetization platform for app developers.